Double D Dalmatian Dogs Do A Promotion
Reed's Pharmacy FireHouse Coffee
In November we were contacted about coming to New York City to
do a Promotion for a new line of coffee called FireHouse Coffee
put out by Dwayne Reed Pharmacy Chain. They wanted four adult Dalmatians
that would be good with people to be on the sidewalks of busy NY
streets. They said they would have personel dressed as firemen
handing out samples of there new coffe and have women dressed in
fire fighting gear handling the Dalmatians for customers to mingle
and pet the Dalmatians. I have to say I was a bit worried taking
four Dalmatians that live in a guiet country surounding and
take them to busy noisey streets of NYC ! As it turned out
they were fine, they were nervous for a while but once the people
stared to interact with them it was just like beiing back home.
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image. It
will open a new window.
Close that window to return to this page.
" BIG NEWS AT THE DOUBLE D DALMATIAN
A star is born................Otis a 13 week old puppy goes to New York
City and makes a commercial for a new Broadway Musical called 101 Dalmatians.
We were contacted by a agency to use one of our puppies to do the commercial
in NYC. Darla did all of the training with Otis prior to going to the big city.
We started the 1st day of shooting in Connecticut and the next day in New York's
Times Square. The last day we shot on Broadway in a office building.
Otis did a fantastic job, they did two takes of Otis walking a
entire city block off lesh with all the people on the side walks
and the traffic going by. The production crew was amazed at the
great job that Otis did. Watch for Otis coming to a TV soon !!!!!
This week I had the first case in history of raisin
Toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was A 56-pound, 5 yr old
male neutered lab mix That ate half a canister of raisins sometime
Between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He Started with vomiting,
diarrhea and shaking About 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't
Call my emergency service until 7 AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND Grapes
causing acute Renal failure but hadn't Seen any formal paper on
the subject. We Had her bring the dog in immediately. In the Meantime,
I called the ER service at MedVet, And the doctor there was like
me - had heard Something about it, but... Anyway, we Contacted
the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids At 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the Kidney
values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was
Already at 32 (normal less than 27) and Creatinine over 5 (1.9
is the high end of normal).
Both are monitors of kidney function in the Bloodstream.
We placed an IV catheter and Started the fluids. Rechecked the
renal values At 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine Over
7 with no urine production after a liter of Fluids.. At that point
I felt the dog was in acute Renal failure and sent him on to MedVet
for a Urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight As well
as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet
And his renal values continued to increase Daily. He produced urine
when given lasix as a Diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
Medications and they still couldn't control his Vomiting. Today
his urine output decreased Again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine
was At 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his Blood pressure,
which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit And the owners
elected to Euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners
Who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please Alert everyone
you know who has a dog of this Very serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes
could Be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes Or raisins
as treats including our ex-handler's. Any Exposure should give
rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia
nuts can Be fatal, too.
Even if you don't have a dog, you might
have friends Who do. This is worth passing on to them.